The Boy in The Striped Pyjamas : BOOK REVIEW





I have never thought a book that I bought not knowing much about its plot, will leave me both impressed and speechless. I knew there was a movie of the same name but I’ve never watched it so what attracted me the most (beside the cover ) was what's written on the back and I quote :

« The story of The Boy in the Striped Pyjamas is very difficult to describe. Usually we give some clues about the book on the cover, but in this case we think that would spoil the reading of the book. We think it is important that you start to read without knowing what is about. If you do start to read this book, you will go on a journey with a nine year old boy called Bruno ( Though this isn’t a book for nine-year olds). And sooner or later you will arrive with Bruno at fence. Fences like this exist all over the world. We hope you never have to cross such a fence. »

And I was sold, completely sold. And I enjoyed it very much.

To those who need more details to get you going : The story is set in Berlin, 1942 (does this date ring any bells ?) where Bruno and his family move to a new house far away due to his father’s job. One day, he goes to explore his surroundings and stumble at a fence where on the other side, we find very different people all wearing striped pyjamas. At that fence, he meets a boy and forms a friendship that will unravel truths that will leave you heartbbroken.



So, what did I think about the book ?

Throughout the book, we follow the story from the innocent eyes of a nine year old boy who seems unaware of the horrible actions happening around him. John Boyn describes the scenes from the perspective of Bruno thus not giving us exactly what is going on and it’s up to us to figure out the meaning between the lines and everytime I figured out a clue or two, I gasped engrossed even further in the story and became impatient to see how everything will tie together.

It’s safe to say that with no knowledge of what happens in the the year 1942 that it will be difficult to understand the story making it pointless in your eyes.

Behind the simplicity that this book dispose of, it is truly a deep and powerful book that have left me buffled and emotionally scarred. I am still thinking about it and I am sure it will haunt me for a long time. Never did I finish a book with a huge slap on my face.

You will notice at first that the book maybe uneventful but the writing will keep you invested and soon you’ll find yourself still flipping the pages. Moreover, it’s a quick read (quick chapters) that you could get it done in a day or two .

However, the only thing that irritated me throughout the book is how selfish or oblivious Bruno can be. The way his friend lives his life is clearly different from his yet he keeps ignoring the clues thrown at him indicating how severe his friend’s life is. But then again, I understand that it has a certain purpose in the story, that without it the story wouldn’t be the same and we wouldn’t have that same chilling message at the end.

Overall, The Boy in the Striped Pyjamas is a great read that by the time you will be done, your world will be upside down and you will question all you might know about humanity, giving you a wake up call to a land you might know as ‘’reality’’.
Happy Reading !
GoldenCurls xx

No comments:

Post a Comment