EAT PRAY LOVE BOOK REVIEW


I posted recently that I started a reading challenge this year. If you haven’t read it yet, do so here. So far, I have read a lot of books but never did a proper book review on any of them on the blog and I am very happy to start my book reviewing with EAT PRAY LOVE.


First thing first, what’s the book about?


“In her early thirties, Elizabeth Gilbert had everything a modern American woman was supposed to want-- husband, country home, successful career--but instead of feeling happy and fulfilled, she felt consumed by panic and confusion. This wise and rapturous book is the story of how she left behind all these outward marks of success, and of what she found in their place. Following a divorce and a crushing depression, Gilbert set out to examine three different aspects of her nature, set against the backdrop of three different cultures: pleasure in Italy, devotion in India, and on the Indonesian island of Bali, a balance between worldly enjoyment and divine transcendence.” Goodreads.



So what did I think?


I picked up this book after going through a though period. See every once in a while, a dark cloud will follow me everywhere and I can't seem to shake it off so in a moment of frustration and complete spontaneity, I started reading this book and it instantly made me feel ten times better. Elizabeth takes you on her journey to find peace and self-reconciliation recollecting her pain and sorrows that lead her to the decision to spend every four month in a destination and to write about it: Italy where she indulges herself in the finest food, India where she learns how to meditate, and Bali where she finds love, making it a yearlong travel. You learn a lot of facts and history about the three cultures that you almost feel like you’re part of the journey.

I believe that everyone can read this book so don’t get me wrong if I say that this is a book every girl and woman should read. Almost all the reviews I have checked pointed it out and until I actually dived in the book that I‘ve completely gotten it. She understood me, she fully understood me and I couldn’t believe it! I am not divorced, heck I’ve never been married, I am a 22 year old student and I lead a different life from her and yet I feel like every time she describes her emotions, her feelings and her experiences, I felt like she can see through me and by the end of the book, I wanted to hang out with her, and have a discussion with her.

Eat Pray Love is about finding oneself, finding balance, happiness and complete self love. You will learn that no matter what, you ought to love yourself, accept your flaws and indulge in the little things.

Though the writing style is nothing too special, Elizabeth writes this book like she’s telling her story to one of her friends. Moreover, the chapters are not too long. My only dislike is that the font is too small and the words are too crowded that I found it hard to read. I am not sure if all the editions are like that but it isn’t a huge turn-off anyway.


When you’ll finish this book, you will want to pack your bag and leave on a similar quest to feed your body, mind and soul with the good energy dispersed out in the world. However, when you’ll finish this book, you would have already done that.

Although it's not an excellent book, EAT PRAY LOVE remains a nice break from the daily mundane routine of life and gives you a refill to both your spirit and perspective.

Happy Reading my friends !

GoldenCurls xx

No comments:

Post a Comment